In case you were wondering, fresh spinach is the secret ingredient responsible for the pretty green color! Garlic and leeks build a flavorful base, with salty parmesan and creamy, tangy goat cheese rounding out the filling, gluten-free finished soup.
- 2 1/2 oz. grated parmesan cheese
- 5 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- Optional: 1 C grated white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (2 to 3 T)
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts, cleaned and sliced thin (4 C)
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, cut into 1 inch chunks (3/4 lb.)
- 2 lbs. broccoli in large florets, stems discarded (3 large crowns)
- 2 C vegetable stock
- 4 C water (substituting more stock will affect the color)
- 2 large handfuls spinach leaves (about 4 C)
- Optional garnish: extra goat cheese, parmesan crisps, fresh herbs, pesto, olive oil, cracked black pepper
- Take cheese out of refrigerator to allow to come to room temperature as you cook (crumble/grate cheese when it’s still cold).
- Heat a large pot over medium high for a minute or two, then add olive oil and heat for another minute (if it starts to crackle or pop, turn the heat down a tad). Add garlic and stir frequently for a minute or two, until it just begins to brown. Reduce heat to low as you scoop out garlic, leaving as much oil in the pan as possible, because it’s now yummy and full of garlic flavor.
- Return heat to medium and add leeks and a pinch of salt. Saute for 10 to 12 minutes, until very soft. Add potato and another pinch of salt, and stir for a minute, to coat the potato and start to cook it a bit. Add broccoli, cooked garlic, ½ t salt, broth, and water. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The broccoli should be very tender and the potato easily pierced with a fork. Add spinach and cover again; cook until wilted, another 5 minutes. Turn off heat and blend in batches in a blender or carefully in the pot with an immersion blender.
- Return soup to pan over low heat. Stir or whisk in cheeses in two batches until melted and fully incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, garnish with any of the above suggestions, or some crumbled bacon.
The white cheddar is completely optional! It will add a tiny bit of extra cheese flavor and richness similar to a “traditional” broccoli cheese soup.
If you don’t have a kitchen scale, don’t fret. The quantities of cheese don’t need to be dead on. Just look at the total ounces in your package, and estimate based on that. For example, given a 12 oz. package of goat cheese, use a little less than half.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Meatless