Make your favorite enchiladas recipe a little bit easier to make and a whole lot more fun to eat, by turning it into enchilada pie.
- The filling from your favorite enchilada recipe for 12 to 14 six inch enchiladas (4 cups or more of filling)
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- 12 six inch corn tortillas
- 1 C (or more) enchilada sauce or salsa (whichever the recipe dictates)
- 1 C (or more) grated cheddar, Monterey jack, or other soft cheese
- For serving: cilantro, scallions, lime wedges, pickled onions, avocado, salsa, sour cream, or any other toppings
- Preheat oven to 375 (F). Spray or lightly oil a standard 9″ pie plate. Cut or tear the tortillas in half. Spread 3 tablespoons sauce in the bottom of the dish and cover it with a layer of 6 tortilla halves.
- Spread a third of the filling gently and evenly over the tortillas. Cover with another 6 tortilla halves, pressing down on the tortillas to pack the filling down. Spread 3 tablespoons sauce over the tortillas. Repeat the same layers 2 more times: filling, tortillas, sauce.
- Generously sprinkle the grated cheese over the last layer of sauce. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet (in case of overflow!) on middle oven rack for 20 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let cool briefly before slicing and serving.
Prep time does not include preparation of enchilada filling.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Tex Mex