- 4 servings all-bean Mexican chili (below; the recipe makes 8 servings, but it freezes well and is easiest to make in a large batch)
- 1 recipe creamy cheddar jalapeno grits (below)
- 40 large organic corn tortilla chips (I used blue; confirm gluten-free if desired)
- 1 C grated provolone cheese (or 6 slices)
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1 – 2 T finely chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- 1/4 C very finely chopped red onion
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, membranes and seeds removed, minced
- Optional garnish: pickled red onions (recipe here), fresh cilantro leaves, lime wedges, sliced scallions
- If made ahead, warm the chili and the grits. I recommend making the chili ahead but making the grits fresh, so they don’t solidify.
- Combine the sour cream, chopped cilantro, and lime juice to make cilantro-lime sour cream. This can also be made ahead.
- Prepare any optional garnishes.
- To serve, roughly crumble 1/4 of the chips in each of four bowls. Sprinkle a scant 1/4 cup of grated provolone (or lay one slice) over the chips, reserving about 1/4 cup of cheese (or two slices total) for the end. Before proceeding, you may warm the chips and cheese up to 10 minutes in a low (175 degrees or lower) oven, if time permits. Scoop a generous helping of cheddar grits over the chips and cheese, followed by a scoop of bean chili. Sprinkle each bowl with remaining provolone (about 1 tablespoon grated, or 1/2 slice), drizzle with cilantro-lime sour cream, add a bit of red onion and jalapeno, if desired, and serve with any other garnishes at the table.
Cook times assume that chili was made in advance but grits were not.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: One Dish
- Cuisine: Comfort Food