Need a break from the bacon and butter routine? Try this quick, healthy, impressive preparation for your next batch of Brussels sprouts.
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, stem and dirty outer leaves removed, quartered if large, and well dried
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 3/4 t sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 t ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 t smoked (Spanish) paprika
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F). On a shallow rimmed baking sheet, toss sprouts with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper, coating as much surface area of the vegetables as possible.
- Roast in bottom third of oven for 5 minutes. Stir sprouts to expose unbrowned areas to the hot pan, then roast another 5 minutes, or until surface is mostly caramelized. Immediately toss with lemon juice on the sheet pan, then stir in smoked paprika. Sprinkle with a little more salt, to taste. Serve after cooling slightly (see notes for make-ahead storage).
Nutrition: the recipe is gluten free, vegan, and super healthy.
The sprouts are excellent served fresh, but they also do well kept in the fridge for a few days. For optimal texture, let them cool right on the sheet pan before piling them into an airtight container. Reheat in a 300 degree oven, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes.
You can substitute regular paprika with good results, it just won’t have quite the depth and mystery of the smoked variety.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan